Canterbury Park’s on-camera talent include analysts Angela Hermann and Kevin Gorg plus announcer Paul Allen. They are The Steam Team.
With the 2023 season about to commence, here are some insights, comments and things to watch from our knowledgeable handicappers:
1) Apprentice Daylor Berrios-Lopez is the one to watch in his first meet following strong Turf Paradise start.
2) Will turf be as speed friendly with more rain this spring?
3) Does the trainer battle between Joel Berndt and Mac Robertson pick back up where it left off last season? Who gets the faster start? [Each has 21 horses entered over the first three days of racing. They battled to a tie for top trainer in 2022]
1) Will jockey Harry Hernandez dominate this summer? [He won the riding title in 2022 by 28 victories and come off a Turf Paradise meet where he won 150 races, 84 more than the next best rider. His agent Scott Stevens has him mounted in 24 of 26 races]
2) Which shippers have the edge early? OP / Tam / Tup / Fon
3) Watch the early trends with trainers bringing horses back from long layoffs…some just have that skill. (Some don’t)
1) Find speed on the dirt.
2) Play the pick 5 with the 10 percent takeout. [Offered each day on the final five thoroughbred races]
3) Ride barns (trainers) that are winning a bunch early.
Racing Saturday begins at 5 p.m. central and at 1 p.m. on Sunday and Memorial Day Monday.