In early March things were moving along smoothly. It appeared Bob Baffert had again stacked the Derby deck in his favor. The major Kentucky Derby preps such as the Louisiana Derby, Arkansas Derby and Florida Derby awaited horseplayers as they sorted out the top 3-year-olds. Canterbury’s Road to Kentucky contest was hotly contested. Prize money paid. Bragging rights earned.
Then it stopped.
We all retreated to our bunkers, losing contact with those at the track that we call friends. Mostly just within the context of the racetrack, but friends nonetheless. It is now time to open the hatch and crawl out from seclusion and renew those friendships. The Canterbury Park Racebook is open daily and the Road to Kentucky Handicapping Contest is firing up this Saturday with first leg of the 2020 Triple Crown – The Belmont Stakes.
Post time and thus contest entry deadline is 10:45am, the first race at Belmont. While we are under capacity restrictions there is plenty of room in the grandstand and we have implemented cleaning and safety protocols. Gates open at 9am. We do ask that you let us know you are coming by clicking here and providing your name. You will need to check in for the time being so letting us know in advance simplifies your life.
You will receive your free contest entry card at check in on track level. Contest entry boxes will be available on both mezzanine and clubhouse levels. Don’t lose your entry card as replacements will not be offered.
You can get details on the Road to Kentucky webpage but here is a brief look at what is the same and what has changed.
– 12 consecutive Saturdays of contest play.
– The mythical $20 mythical WPS scoring system remains the same.
– Weekly prize money pays the top four scores
– Accumulated prize money stays the same as it was but determining those scores has changed. We held nine contests prior to the shutdown. Those scores will be totaled, the lowest of the nine subtracted, and that will be the starting point for each player.
– From the 12 contests remaining, the two lowest scores will also be dropped from the total.
– The wagering minimum to receive full prize money remains in place.
If you have questions, please ask any of the staff.