by The Oracle
Here’s my personal ranking of the past ten Derby Winners from top to bottom. Where will this year’s winner fit?
1) Barbaro – Best I’ve seen, he effortlessy crushed a very good field. #1 with a bullet and undefeated. Would have loved to see the Barbaro/Bernardini throwdown in the Preakness.
2) Street Sense – Devastating mid-race move he loved Churchill and beat perhaps the best three-yo crop in the past ten years with a crafty ride by Calvin Bo-rail.
3) Smarty Jones – Undefeated Derby winner outran his pedigree over an off-track, won by widening lengths and was 50 yards from retiring undefeated.
4) Big Brown – Visually impressive his physical ailments perhaps prevented the Triple Crown completion. Not a great 3yo crop to beat.
5) Funny Cide – Gritty against Empire Maker and Peace Rules he was the real deal as a 3yo.
6) Fusaichi Pegasus – Speed figs weren’t that inspiring, hard to gauge how good he was.
7) Charismatic – Claimer to Derby winner shocked the world with an authoritative victory at long odds. Near Triple Crown winner, Lukas magic works again.
8) War Emblem – Lone speed peaked at the right time against a mediocre bunch. Two huge months marked entire career.
9) Monarchos – meltdown on the front end and he fired huge against better quality Point Given and Congaree.
10) Giacomo – fast splits and dream trip. Probably 7th or 8th most talented horse in the race.