By Noah Joseph
Everyone has something they enjoy when visiting Canterbury Park. For some, it’s just watching the races, while for others, it’s the chance to win some money. Horse racing is one of a few sports in which wagers can be placed legally. In fact, without wagering, horse racing wouldn’t exist. While some bets produce small payouts, some pay huge amounts.
The most commonly placed wager is a $2 bet, the minimum bet for win, place, and show wagers. The highest $2 win payout in track history occurred not that long ago. In 2015, Congregation, under jockey Jenna Joubert, payed $161 to win. The highest $2 place payoff is actually higher than the win payoff. Bask in the Wind payed $192.60 to place in 1990. The highest show payoff was set by Turtle Mountain, who payed $122.00 to show in 2009.
Exotic wagers, which are bets that have the option to use one or more horses in multiple race legs, or combinations, have a tendency to pay more.
- The highest exacta payoff occurred when Elroho and Colonel Jerry paid $3,308.60 in 1987.
- The highest trifecta took place when Clever Endeavor, Gottcha Silver, and Heartofdemi paid $70,086.20 in 2013.
- The highest superfecta happened in 2014 when Brooktown, Oneta Sugar, Seafarer, Zeta Zody paid $145,338.00 (for a $2 payout).
- The highest daily double paid $3,156.00 between Pendrug and Balistico in 1988.
- That same year, the highest pick three occurred between Talc’s Girl, Lonely Beach, and Fourstardave, in which the pick three paid $51,030.00.
- The largest pick four payout occurred in 2013 with Clever Endeavor, Gianna’s Music Man, Thatlleaveamark, and Sam Wayne winning. It paid $82,051.40 for a $2 bet.
- The highest pick 5 paid $41,807.40 in 2016
- And the biggest pick five jackpot, which unlike the regular pick five requires the bettor to pick five consecutive winners and have the only winning ticket, happened last year, and it paid $312,130 for a 50 cent bet.
- The highest payout this season was a pick five jackpot that paid $60,805.15 on June 10. With just a bit more than half the season to go, look for the tote board to light up with some more big payouts…. and you just might be the big winner.