For the safety and well-being of our team members, guests and community, and based on the advice of local government and health officials, we have made the voluntary decision to temporarily suspend casino, simulcast and event operations effective Monday, March 16th at noon. Cage operations will remain open until 10PM Monday to allow guests to cash out chips or vouchers.
This is a temporary closure, and we hope to reopen as soon as possible. We will use the time during our closure to review and update operational best practices and strategies based on what we now know related to this public health situation.
We believe this decision will best protect our team and fans, and aligns with our core values of family, community and integrity. We know a temporary closure may present our team members with financial hardships beyond their control. As such, we have committed to paying all team members two weeks wages while state and federal officials finalize assistance packages, and will work to support those with particular challenges through our Employee Emergency Fund.
We are taking this voluntary, proactive measure based on the counsel of government and health officials and our shared responsibility to our team, fans and community. The unprecedented situation continues to be fluid, and we hope to be able to reopen very soon.
Planning and preparation for opening the 2020 live racing season will continue as scheduled at this time.
We appreciate your ongoing support of Canterbury Park.
Canterbury Park President and CEO